Presentation of the group
An independent French group founded in 1934, LA MARTINIQUAISE is the second-largest spirits group in France and features in the world top 10, with a large portfolio of international brands.
- 900 million euros of sales before taxes and duties
- + 60% growth over the last 5 years
- 35% of sales from international business in over 110 countries
- 1,600 employees
- 27 subsidiaries and 24 production sites throughout the world: France, Scotland, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Vietnam …
- 3 international "millionaire" brands (over 1 million 9-litre cases)
- World leader in Port and Madeira and French number 1 in Calvados and Armagnac
A portfolio of international brands
- LABEL 5: World no. 9 Scotch Whisky brand and growth champion at +50% in 5 years
- CRUZ: world's top Port brand
- POLIAKOV: French no. 1 in Vodka and world no. 15, with the strongest growth
- SAINT JAMES: No. 1 worldwide in Agricole Rum
- GIBSON’S: leader in Gin in France and Sweden
Sources: The IWSR 2012 - Euromonitor International
"As our brands are deeply rooted in the richness of the lands where they are produced and the skills of their people, we are thoroughly committed to respecting tradition.
But we also know how to make the best use of today’s techniques to ensure we can adapt to continuous changes in demand.
Our company is guided by the ideal of preserving quality and making it available to everyone. We do everything we can to implement this ideal, while remaining totally independent."
Jean-Pierre CAYARD, President
"Creating great brands with strong emotional value, launching new concepts, listening to consumers and placing them at the heart of our creative process – that is our passion.
Conviction through seduction, selling through entertainment – that is our Spiritainment concept."
Edith CAYARD, CEO
A passion for entrepreneurship and developing our group and our brands with a strong team spirit
Writing our history and taking our decisions totally independently in the long-term interests of the group
Being a pioneer, overthrowing convention, offering new solutions, launching new concepts and promoting new modes of consumption
To our clients, consumers and employees
Responsibility to our people, the environment and society by encouraging the responsible consumption of our products
STRINGENT STANDARDS OF QUALITY AND EXCELLENCE
MAKING THE MOST OF OUR CULTURAL HERITAGE
The SAINT JAMES House in Martinique
The SAINT JAMES House is one of the most-visited cultural centres in Martinique, a legendary site that houses the Rum Museum and welcomes over 100,000 tourists a year. The distillery presents a superb collection of stills and distillation columns.
The centre hosts a variety of events, including the Rum Festival, a real institution in Martinique.
To find out more, visit www.saintjames-rum.com
The ESPAÇO PORTO CRUZ in Portugal
The favoured ambassador of Port, GRAN CRUZ celebrates the art of Port with its multimedia space, ESPAÇO PORTO CRUZ. Located on the banks of the Douro, in an eighteenth-century building, the ESPAÇO CRUZ combines tradition with modernity and invites visitors to an interactive sensory tasting experience. The centre pays tribute to contemporary Portuguese culture by showcasing exhibitions by young artists.
To find out more, visit www.myportocruz.com
The AVÈZE Visitor Centre in Auvergne, France
The AVÈZE Visitor Centre – House of Gentian, located at the heart of the Auvergne Volcanic Park, has been awarded the "Maison du Parc" label. It welcomes 30,000 visitors every year, who come to discover the history, production and secrets of Gentian.
To find out more, visit www.aveze.com
The BUSNEL distillery in Normandy, France
Heir to a legacy of expertise dating back to 1820, the BUSNEL distillery produces and ages exceptional Calvados in the very heart of the most renowned part of
Normandy, the Pays d'Auge. The site welcomes 20,000 visitors a year who rediscover the authentic history of Calvados and each stage of the slow process that transforms apples into the amber nectar.
To find out more, visit www.distillerie-busnel.fr
The Institut GRIOTTINES in Fougerolles, France
The Institut GRIOTTINES is an innovative concept that brings together a training centre, a chocolate, pastry and cooking laboratory and a superb shop overseen by a renowned chef, François LACHAUX, a winner of the Meilleur Ouvrier de France award.
To find out more, visit www.linstitutgriottines.com
Our group implements an environmental protection policy, which includes four major focal points, at all its production sites.
Careful selection of raw materials
First Blending Company, Scotland
We use non-GM cereals grown in Scotland near the distillery, reducing their carbon footprint
Saving energy and water resources
First Blending Company, Scotland
- Electricity generated from recovered methane is one of our main sources of energy
- We have installed sustainable urban drainage systems to recover rainwater for our own use
Reducing waste at source
SAINT JAMES Distillery, Martinique
- Processing liquid waste: the water that leaves our water treatment system is clean and odourless
- Reusing the by-products from our production process: our sugarcane residue is composted, while our treated water is used for irrigation
Developing renewable energy
- We have launched an investment programme to use industrial buildings to produce photovoltaic electricity
- Photovoltaic panels installed at the DILLON and DEPAZ office buildings in 2009 and 2010 respectively
A LEADING INDUSTRIAL FORCE
The LA MARTINIQUAISE group has invested in high-performance production facilities at all its sites, including in France, Scotland and Portugal.
The only one of its kind in Scotland, our site at Bathgate near Edinburgh is fully integrated, with a grain distillery, ageing cellars and a bottling plant, which uses advanced technology to produce up to 400,000 bottles of Blended & Single Malt Scotch Whisky every day. In the North of Scotland, in the prestigious Speyside region, the GLEN MORAY distillery produces exceptional malts using expertise that dates back to 1897.
IMPRESSIVE AGEING CELLARS
LA MARTINIQUAISE controls the ageing of its products to fully and independently ensure their quality and meet the growing demand for aged products, particularly in the Scotch Whisky, Bourbon, Rum, Port, Brandy, Calvados and Armagnac sectors. This allows the group's brands to develop limited series highlighting their age.
DEMANDING QUALITY STANDARDS
The LA MARTINIQUAISE laboratory controls flows of goods at all stages: procurement, with a rigorous approval system;
receipt, with checks on compliance; and during production, with batteries of tests ensuring compliance with
our clients' standards, the stability of our products and regulatory requirements.
This commitment has earned the group ISO 9001 certification for the design, development, packaging and marketing of spirits. In addition, we apply a HACCP approach as the basis of our food safety control system.
- Jean CAYARD founds the LA MARTINIQUAISE company, initially as a rum importer and distributor.
- LA MARTINIQUAISE diversifies by marketing Cognac, Calvados, Kirsch, Madeira, Port and Natural Sweet Wines.
- Launch of PORTO CRUZ, which quickly becomes the market leader thanks to several famous advertising campaigns.
- Strong growth in the group:
"With the development of the mass retail sector, we knew we were entering an exciting period of change
and we had to be part of it." Jean CAYARD
- Strong growth in the group:
- Launch of LABEL 5 Scotch Whisky
- Acquisition of GRAN CRUZ in Portugal
- Acquisition of SAINT-VIVANT Armagnac
- Acquisition of the Portuguese JUSTINO HENRIQUES Madeira Wine company
- Acquisition of the FLORANIS brand, the Gras Brothers' authentic Anisette
- BARDINET, the leading Rum and Cocktail company with key brands NEGRITA, DILLON and OLD NICK, joins the group.
- CRUZ becomes the world leader in Port
- Acquisition of the BUSNEL distillery
- Acquisition of the prestigious Rum brands SAINT JAMES and BALLY
- Opening of the First Blending Company site in Bathgate, Scotland, the group's Scotch Whisky ageing and bottling plant.
- Opening of the new Natural Sweet Wine site in Rivesaltes
- Inauguration of LA MARTINIQUAISE VIETNAM
- Acquisition of GRANDES DISTILLERIES PEUREUX, the European leader in fruit brandies and owner of the GRIOTTINES and LA CIGOGNE brands
- Acquisition of a stake in DISTILLERIE DE LA TOUR
- Portugal – Acquisition of C. DA SILVA, the Port producer founded in 1862, known for its DALVA and PRESIDENTIAL brands and its exceptional "Colheitas"
- Acquisition of the Scottish GLEN MORAY Malt Whisky distillery in Elgin, in the Speyside region
- POLIAKOV becomes the leading Vodka brand in France
- LABEL 5 enters the global Top 10 of Scotch Whisky brands.
- Acquisition of the major brands DUVAL, CASANIS, L’HERITIER-GUYOT, ST RAPHAËL, VALAURIA and AVÈZE
- Acquisition of BRUGGEMAN, the leading Jenever producer, in Belgium
- Acquisition of REPAIRE DE BACCHUS, which today includes about thirty wine merchants in Paris and the surrounding area
- Acquisition of the CARAÏBOS brand of fruit juices and nectars, appreciated and used by professional bartenders
- POLIAKOV joins the club of Millionaire Brands, selling more than a million 9-litre cases a year.
- Acquisition of the MASSENEZ distillery
- Belgium – Acquisition of the SMEETS brand, the number 1 in Hasselt Jenever, reinforcing BRUGGEMAN's leadership
- Acquisition of Quartier Français Spiritueux: LA MARTINIQUAISE takes the lead in Alcohol-Free Aperitifs, acquires the Rivière du Mat distillery in Réunion and reinforces its European network by taking over the Italian company DILMOOR.
- Opening of the ESPAÇO PORTO CRUZ multimedia centre to celebrate the art of Port
- BARDINET Spain
- BUSNEL DISTILLERY
- FIRST BLENDING COMPANY
- GLEN MORAY LIMITED
- GRAN CRUZ
- GRANDES DISTILLERIES PEUREUX
- JUSTINO HENRIQUES
- LA MARTINIQUAISE VIETNAM
- REPAIRE DE BACCHUS
- The leading European rum group, BARDINET has been marketing prestigious Rums and Cocktails since 1857: NEGRITA, OLD NICK, DILLON, DEPAZ … and has successfully diversified into Scotch Whisky with GLEN MORAY and SIR EDWARD’S, Liqueurs with L’HERITIER GUYOT and Brandies with the BARDINET Brandy and BEEHIVE brands. Today the leading Cocktail company in France, BARDINET has been given responsibility for the group's alcohol-free activities with the CARAÏBOS and SIROP SPORT brands.
- Since its creation in 1927 in Barcelona, BARDINET Spain has become a major player in Rum in the Spanish market thanks to its iconic NEGRITA brand. Today, BARDINET Spain markets the group's brands along with those of other brands such as PUJOL and NEGUS Rums, GECKO and RUADA Liqueurs, VEDRA DEL ULLA and XIMONDE Brandies, BANDEIRA Wines and MONTSARRA Sparkling Wines.
- Located in Rivesaltes in the Eastern Pyrenees, in the heart of Països Catalans, the Compagnie Vinicole des Rivesaltes BOURDOUIL is the group's production and ageing centre for Natural Sweet Wines, with an impressive 50,000 hl of vats and an ageing cellar of more than 1450 oak casks. It is the leading operator in its market with the DAURE and VALAURIA brands.
- Founded in 1884, the BRUGGEMAN company is the uncontested leader in the Belgian Jenever market, with the PETERMAN and SMEETS brands. BRUGGEMAN has diversified into other profitable markets in the last few years, including Whiskies, Vodkas, Rums and Cocktails.
- Located in the heart of the Pays d'Auge district in Normandy, the BUSNEL distillery produces and ages exceptional Calvados using expertise handed down through the generations since 1820. BUSNEL and ANÉE Calvados (AOC Calvados and AOC Calvados Pays d'Auge) are now sold throughout the world.
- LA MARTINIQUAISE is a leading player in Armagnac, and 35% of its revenue comes from exports. DUCASTAING also specialises in producing carefully-crafted top-of-the-range presentations.
- FIRST BLENDING COMPANY is based in Bathgate, near Edinburgh. This fully integrated production site, covering more than 28 hectares, includes a grain distillery, 21 ageing cellars and a bottling plant, which uses cutting-edge technology to produce up to 400,000 bottles of Blended & Malt Scotch Whisky a day.
Our commercial entity in the UK distributes the LA MARTINIQUAISE-BARDINET portfolio, including the GLEN MORAY Single Malt and BARDINET Brandy.
- Founded in 1897, the GLEN MORAY distillery is located in Elgin in the Speyside region, the heartland of Single Malt Scotch Whisky. The heir to this traditional know-how, Master Distiller Graham Coull is continuing the proud history of this noble house by producing prestigious Whiskies whose quality and reputation are recognised throughout the world.
- The successor to the house of Assumpçao e Fos, founded in 1887, GRAN CRUZ is based in Vila Nova de Gaia on the banks of the Douro. The reputation of GRAN CRUZ stems from its expertise, which has been passed down through the generations. Today the world's leading exporter of Port, GRAN CRUZ has become one of the wine's most prestigious representatives.
- Founded in 1864, GRANDES DISTILLERIES PEUREUX is the world leader in Cherry Liqueurs and Cherries in Brandy and the European leader in Fruit Brandies. Based in Fougerolles in eastern France, the company is known the world over for its two brands, GRIOTTINES and LA CIGOGNE.
- Founded in 1870, the house of JUSTINO HENRIQUES, located on the Portuguese island of Madeira, is the world's leading exporter of Madeira Wines.
- Inaugurated in 2005, LA MARTINIQUAISE Vietnam has a production unit for local brands marketed in the ASEAN countries.
- Created in 1983, Le Repaire De Bacchus today includes about thirty wine merchants in Paris and the surrounding area. Le Repaire de Bacchus, a haven for epicureans, offers a huge choice of appellations and regions, carefully selecting its products for quality, and is trusted by specialists, wine makers and the media.
Online shop at www.lerepairedebacchus.com